On twitter, ways to avoid such attacks include:
- Always use a strong password for your twitter account.
- Follow @spam & @safety on twitter for updates on recent spam attacks.
- Be careful of links that appear to be suspicious.
- Be wary of third parties that you give your user name to promising to get you followers to increase your twitter presence.
- Use HTTPS to improve twitter security and make sure that you're always logging on to twitter.com before entering your log-in information (username/password).
For more information click on the articles below:
Safety: Keeping Your Account Secure
How To Report Spam on Twitter